Tuesday, November 5, 2013

One word that can bring me to tears............

Disabled
I have finally taken the steps to apply for Medicaid benefits for Bella, which is one of those steps that was hard for me to take. I personally didn't feel right using these benefits because we can support our family and I didn't want to accept the fact that my daughter is now considered disabled. It's a hard realization to wrap your mind around. The doctor's and many others have urged me to take this step to help pay for these ongoing medical costs that are starting to pile up. So, I have spent most of this morning filling out MORE paperwork. Thankfully, you can do most of the work online, but it does involve a ton of information. I was trucking right along until the last page popped up telling me that Isabella was eligible for other benefits due to her disability. I don't think I will ever be able to get use to reading that word. I know what the disease is capable of doing to her, BUT we are doing everything possible to prevent long term damage. We are fighting everyday to get Bella into remission. We are trying everything the doctor suggests without a fight. But there is no guarantee to any of this. There is no specific combination of medicines or therapies that will make it happen. Everything is a gamble at this point.
Last night proved that anything can happen at any time. Bella called me into her room after she went to bed to tell me that her knee hurt really bad and she couldn't straighten it. I checked it out and noticed that Bella's knee was swollen and she couldn't straighten out. We did as the doctor instructed and we applied heat to her joint and wrapped her up in her heated blanket. She woke this AM in pain and limping around but she wanted to go to school. She is one tough chick!!
This means that she will have to sit out of competition cheer practice again tonight, which will make her pretty upset. Even though she hurts she still tries to do things.......she will often hide her pain so that she can still do things. But what Bella doesn't understand is that she causes more damage to herself when she pushes through her pain.
She is 10 and use to being an active kid........slowing this kid down is hard.

She was excited to go vote this morning with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment