Monday, November 3, 2014

Her knees are not cooperating

Bella has been having a great run with her new treatment plan but last weekend she started to have problems with pain and swelling in her knees. She was having a hard time walking. We got her on a dose of steroids to help reduce the swelling and she was able to walk normal again by Tuesday. Then this Saturday night it started up again. So after arguing about using her braces and crutches, she went to school this morning with crutches. I'm not sure what is going to drive me more nuts, Bella's pre-teen attitude or her Juvenile Arthritis. They are equally frustrating. Bella is not one that likes attention and the idea of everyone looking at her while wearing her knee braces and crutches was mortifying to her. I had to remind her that not taking proper care of her knees could result in a surgery which would be far worse than using crutches for a day or two. I hate to see her so worried about what others think and to put her health second. In the end we compromised and I allowed Bella to choose the knee braces or the crutches, and she chose the crutches. When we see her therapist today I will have them take a closer look and see if this is her JA or her floating knee caps causing the problem. I want to figure out a plan to keep this from happening over and over again. I have been in contact with her Rheumatologist and they offer us many treatment options but I'm wondering what we need to do next. Bella did get to enjoy trick or treat last week. She did a short walk around with her sisters and had a good time. She also went to her school's Halloween dance and had a blast with her friends. Her next infusion is next week, so I am hoping that helps with some of her pain she has been having lately. Thanks for checking in! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment